The preparation of baby formulas is not a daunting task, but the fact is that you must make sure you mix your baby formula in the proper ratio of it to the water you want to use. This will ensure that your baby is getting the exact amount of nutrients needed for development. On the other hand, it is important to take safety precautions to protect your newborn from food-borne diseases because newborns immunity to germs is not yet strong. Here’s what you need to know.
- Check the expiration date on the baby formula container or pack
- Make sure that the baby formula can is not dented as this can cause the tin layer inside to crack. This will make the liquid come in contact with the steel and eventually cause rust.
- Keep baby formula cool but not frozen
- Return accidentally bought dented baby formula can or expired formula back to the store and ask for a new container.
- Once you open a can of baby formula, use it within one month
- Always follow directions on the can for storage of baby formula
- Follow the Complete Guide below for safe Baby Formula Preparation
Wash your equipment properly – In addition to washing your hands very well, make sure that all rings, spoons, measuring cups, nipples and bottles are well sterilized. Also make sure that you prepare baby formula with clean water.
Before opening the baby formula can, make sure yow and dry the top. Make sure your can opener is clean as well and wash it well between uses.
Wash your hands – Make sure you wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, before you make baby formula for newborns. Dry your hands with serviette paper or clean towel.
Follow the exact preparation directives on the container – This is necessary in view of the fact that mixing instructions vary by water to formula ratio and manufacturer. Making use of too much water can tax the kidney of your baby and result to dehydration.
On the other hand, adding excess water will deprive newborns of the nutrients and calories they require. You can use a standard measuring cup of the lines on the feeding bottle of the baby, for better accuracy.
Make use of clean and safe water – Make sure to mix your powdered or liquid baby formula with clean and safe water. Always make use of bottled water to prepare baby formula for your newborn.
These tips for safe preparation of baby formulas will make your baby remain healthy and strong. Keep undated with breaking news about baby formulas and product recalls because infant formulas are always recalled because of potential contamination. Contact the FDA or the Health Control Board of your country, if you have concern or a compliant about infant formulas.